Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Low Poly Tree?

I decided to work on modelling my trees while I think about what direction I'd like to go with my castle. I wanted to go for something with a bit more colour so I decided on an Autumn feel and I was browsing the internet for different kinds of trees and I was really drawn to the Maple tree. The colours were also with the season I decided to work with so it was a win win. 


This is the finished model of my maple tree textures and bump mapping included. As you can see from the screenshots I decided to use two different leaf colours just to add that little bit extra and make it more colourful and appealing to look at. As you can see though this tree ended up being quite complex with lots of polygons and such because it was really difficult to properly populate the tree until I was happy with it without making a tree with a highish poly count or at least I think it's high?


Anyway moving on. Here you can see the texturing and bump mapping for the tree. I found a very nice, seamless semi realistic bark texture that has a really nice grain which is the main thing I look for when making  a good bump map. 

Overall I'm happy with the tree model because during the low poly tree exercises I struggled with modelling and uv mapping the tree. I feel  lot more confident about it now though and I might carry on modelling some trees just for some practice on the side maybe an independent project here and there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment