Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Inspired by the Tarot

One of the things I mentioned in my first presentation when I joined this course was my interest in Tarot cards. One of my favourite games that wields this concept is the Persona series. And i've taken a lot of inspiration from this game so I thought i'd share it and g through some aspects of the game I really like. I'm only going to focus on Persona 3 though. 


This game is a card based game and is inspired by Tarot cards. The enemy designs are really well thought out and each represent a certain class of tarot. This is the first game that i've seen that has tarot based designs and I never thought about how much of a great concept it would be and I really loved the way they incorporated that into the game.


This is some concept art of one of my favourite characters called Koromaru. I think for an animal he has such a great sense of personality and that really goes for all the characters in persona including the 4th game. I think they combine a great mixture of characters that have different characteristics and different backgrounds and it's really nice to see how their relationships evolve as the game unfolds. 


This is some concept art for the Personas which are basically symbolize each character. As well as having such amazing designs I really love the fact they change and evolve when the character does because essentially they are all in a situation where they have to confront a side of them who they reject. This also teaches you a really valuable lesson in life which is to not let others change the way you are and just to accept ourself and be comfortable being you. 

From this you can see that I really love digging into the meanings of storis and story telling is something i'd like to be a big part of my work in the future. 



These are some environmental concept arts from the game. The atmosphere created in these areas using lighting, colours and sound is amazing. I have to say that this game in particular has a really great soundtrack.

I really like the architectural side of environmental design so this is something that I really want to take on board and perfect by giving myself some independent projects over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment